The North Dakota Coxes (Four of us left)

Some things simply matter more than others

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



Hey, my family - you remember how the leprechauns would visit and change our milk to green on St. Patrick's Day? (Yes, they still do - much to Tim's chagrin.) Well, in Chicago, the Wee Folk turn the whole river green!


People turn out in masses wearing green in all forms and fashions -- some even combine it with orange.(Do a wikipedia search or something if you don't know the history of Ireland's most Americanized holiday - I'm not going into it here.) We spent the weekend with the Adamzes for Spring Break and rode the train to Chicago for the day, where we saw and did lots of fun things (and skipped many more because it was so cold and rainy), so I thought I would share a wee bit of it with you, though I apologize that the pictures really don't show off the Windy City as it deserves to be shown.
So, Luck o' the Irish to ye (I don't know if that's really very much, but let's not think about that right now), and don't forget your green!

Chicago, as you probably know, is famous for its varied architecture, from modern steel and glass to gargoyles like these guys.
One peculiar shot of "the Bean", a reflective sculpture in Grant Park, right next to the lake. Though this shot doesn't show it, the big-as-a-house object looks like, well, a giant kidney bean - hence the nickname.
The train ride and a trip to the Children's museum provided great diversion from our Nodak winter...




And what use would this post be without the boys?

Thanks so much, Adamz family, for a great time, filled with new experiences and laughs we'll remember a long time!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

We loved having ya! I love the pictures you posted. How did you get a frontal shot of the river? Did you stop traffic or something? I'll be posting soon.
I was thinking about the green milk this morning and wondering what green food we'll have today.

Serena said...

Happy Saint Patty's Day! Thanks for visiting my blog...I miss you!